Sunday, July 04, 2010

Offense, not defense

      I had the most vivid dream last night. In this dream, I felt like my heart was God's, breaking and tearing and shattering at the sight of his children hurting. I felt His pain. It was heartbreaking and life changing and it just makes me more determined to start my ministry.


    I was driving into what was a new school for me (I later recognized it as my old school, Princeton) As I was driving, I saw these two girls walking along the sidewalk, blank stares on their faces and they were cutting themselves with razors as they walked along. It looked as though they weren't in any pain...as though they were in bondage and they were so used to it that it didn't hurt anymore. 


   I stopped my car and ran to them, screaming for them to stop. My heart was breaking and tears were flowing down my face. I ripped the razors away from them and as I did that, the blank stare left their face and they looked at me in surprise. I told them that Jesus adores them, loves them so much, why are they doing this? It is a bit unclear what I did with the razors, I think I threw them away. They walked away from me, staring at the blood and scars on their arms, and in pain, wondering why they were doing that. 


   That was the most vivid part of my dream. And it impacted me like no other. I got a couple of things out of that, but the main one is this: we, as Christians aren't supposed to be playing defense. We're supposed to be playing offense. We need to rush at the enemy and take back what he has stolen. Now is not the time to barricade ourselves in and wait for the inevitable. The victory at the cross is already won and now we need to win back this generation with His LOVE. Fancy words aren't going to catch their attention. We need to show them His true adoration for them. 


    Another thing was, after taking away their razors, they were living. No more blank stares and numbness. They were in pain, yes, but they were ALIVE. Those wounds were going to heal and they were going to go on and become testimonies to God's absolute love and power.


Vivid dreams...they get your attention. Tell them to people, get their attention. But do it in LOVE. Just words...they're nothing. Faith and action baby. Let's take this world and turn it upside down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that. :) -emily bullivant